PDA

View Full Version : IDNs in IE7

idnowner
9th January 2006, 11:02 PM
Nobody, more than me, wants to see IDNs fly, but it seems that it has been going so slow, and I wonder why I haven't seen more traffic, since other browsers like Netscape and Foxfire have been supporting IDNs for some time.  Does anyone have an idea how much of the Japanese market IE has? And will Microsoft promote IDNs, or will they consider that to be a minor enhancement?

Edwin
9th January 2006, 11:11 PM
I think there's generally not been the same tradition of type-ins in Japan, perhaps because people can't think up/spell domains in Romaji that they'd like to visit.

For example, if a Japanese user wanted to visit a site about microwaves (denshi range) through traditional romaji (i.e. alphabetical) typeins where would they go? denshirenji.com? denshirange.com? denshiranji.com? denshilenji.com etc.

Bring (correctly translated) IDNs into the picture and suddenly there's only one choice (電子レンジ - yes, I own it) which can be correctly and unambiguously spelled by a Japanese speaker.

So it's going to take time and trial and error post-IDN launch (talking about the "wide" launch here) for most Japanese to start using the address bar to navigate directly to unfamiliar sites - after all, they're coming to the type-in party a decade behind the English-speaking world!

Incidentally, the above is probably one of the reasons why there's not (that) much competition in Japanese IDNs yet. Not sure how many Japanese are following the issue, and without a typein history pointing the way towards value, I doubt there'd be a lot of interest anyway.

Rubber Duck
10th January 2006, 06:38 AM
It is not just a question of browser support. Without, the browser support and almost as importantly content, there will be no type-in. Type-in will only grow if there is reward for the browser in terms of interesting content. Content will come rapidly as large corporates take up the idea.

Converting a website from one URL to another would take a couple of hours at the outside. Copy the existing site to a new location. Replace the Logo and it is live. All you then have to do is redirect the existing URL to reconnect with your existing customer base. In fact there is no disruption to the user base at all. Child's play even for someone as HTML illiterate as myself.

The change will be triggered not by type-in, which is a side show, but by the main event which is search. Search ranking requires SEO. To get to the top in a competitive area a good domain is essential. ASCII domains will not help with search ranking where search is done in local characters. Those that adopt IDN will gain a competitive advantage. It wil be a case of adapt or die.

Best Regards
Dave Wrixon

Edwin
10th January 2006, 07:20 AM
However, if the existing site is well linked/ranked, the process you described is just about the quickest way to make it lose ground in the search engines. So we'll have to look for growth to come initially from new sites, or smaller sites with little to lose from a change in URL.

Rubber Duck
10th January 2006, 09:42 AM
However, if the existing site is well linked/ranked, the process you described is just about the quickest way to make it lose ground in the search engines. So we'll have to look for growth to come initially from new sites, or smaller sites with little to lose from a change in URL.

Yes, I agree with you that the initial thrust will come from SatoIchiro rather than Toyota, but the big outfits will have to wake up to the threat. Perhaps the logical progression is start with the IDN as the redirection, but advertise the site with that domain and effect the switch over at a later point in time. Either way it makes no difference. With masked forwarding you most important URL does not even need to be your primary, although I think ultimately that is what will happen

Best Regards
Dave Wrixon

Edwin
10th January 2006, 11:34 AM
Actually, masked forwarding can in certain circumstances have unforseen negative SEO consequences. I doubt any really large outfit would take the risk. Once you've got a few thousand links into a site (and large companies can have millions of incoming links) it's really more hassle than it's worth to move/fiddle with the URL.

gammascalper
10th January 2006, 09:29 PM
I think there's generally not been the same tradition of type-ins in Japan, perhaps because people can't think up/spell domains in Romaji that they'd like to visit.

For example, if a Japanese user wanted to visit a site about microwaves (denshi range) through traditional romaji (i.e. alphabetical) typeins where would they go? denshirenji.com? denshirange.com? denshiranji.com? denshilenji.com etc.

Bring (correctly translated) IDNs into the picture and suddenly there's only one choice (電子レンジ - yes, I own it) which can be correctly and unambiguously spelled by a Japanese speaker.

So it's going to take time and trial and error post-IDN launch (talking about the "wide" launch here) for most Japanese to start using the address bar to navigate directly to unfamiliar sites - after all, they're coming to the type-in party a decade behind the English-speaking world!

Incidentally, the above is probably one of the reasons why there's not (that) much competition in Japanese IDNs yet. Not sure how many Japanese are following the issue, and without a typein history pointing the way towards value, I doubt there'd be a lot of interest anyway.

Took me a while to munch on this, but I think that's as plausible an explanation as I've heard.

In the last month, pickin's have slimmed noticeably. Sure, there are dictionary-type terms around, but no-space money-terms are becoming a rare breed.

The chart of registrations from 2000-now may look something like this:

| x
| x
|x x
| x x
| x x
| x x
| xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
|_____________________________
2000 01 02 03 04 05 06

alibuba
7th October 2007, 04:58 PM
spam

Chineelex
9th October 2007, 03:05 AM
Экскурс: для клеймения мяса применяется специальная синяя краска,
разводимая на спирте. (http://www.softconsultant.com) Теперь сама история.
Мой знакомый подрабатывал сторожем в колхозе. И вот на свою беду,
недобрав на свадьбе у соседа, он пришел на дежурство и решил провести
ревизию аптеки ветеринарного пункта, находившуюся на территории колхоза!
Дело близилось, как говорят, к ночи! В потемках он унюхал... спирт!!!
(на самом деле краску для клеймения)
Приняв на грудь, покуривая, поплевал и лег спать! Утром только он понял
ужас своего поступка, быстренько побежал домой. (http://www.multiarchiv.info) Попробовал смыть
несмываемое (краска-то неводорастворимая)
Пришедший ветеринар был в ужасе! Аптечный пунк раскуречен, все вокруг в
штемпельной краске. Вызванный по этому поводу участковый приказал
привести сторожа, который и явился со второй попытки. (http://www.sandhillindians.com) Когда сняли платок
с головы, увидели..... опухшее синемордое чудовище!!!
НЕДЕЛЮ НЕ МОГ СМЫТЬ ПОЗОР СО СВОЕГО ЛИЦА!

burnsinternet
9th October 2007, 06:23 AM
What shame? Huh?

Fka200
9th October 2007, 06:23 AM
Translation? :). I want to know as well!

burnsinternet
9th October 2007, 06:37 AM
It is like posts are being randomly assigned to threads.... Very strange.

Where will this one end up? Certainly not under Chinese appraisals?