PDA

View Full Version : IE7 LIP (Thai, Hindi and others) still needs Authenticity Validation

TrafficDomainer
6th November 2007, 10:37 AM
Hi Folks,

I found out that IE7 in Thai is now available along with other languages including Hindi Via IE7 LIP (Language Interface Pack) - which means all the menu bars and the user experience will be in these added languages. However, to my surprise downloading it still requires "Windows authenticity check"

Check out:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=a5b1cbd5-88c2-4274-a445-33bf1e9f8353&DisplayLang=th

I find this quite inconsistent with MS New Policy of making IE7 available freely to all. At first I thought it was an overlook on MS part and called Microsoft Thailand to alert them. The Thai rep contacted MS Regional office in Singapore and got the response that the "authenticity check" for IE7 LIP will stay as they treat it as a separate add-on product separate from Microsoft Mainstream IE7 which is also available in multiple languages including Chinese which does not require LIP to display the menu bar in Chinese.

I told her that this would unfairly delay the adoption of IE7 in Thailand as Thais are by and large not very comfortable with english. She said the only thing she could do is to file my complaint about the inconsistency but cannot say if anything will be done. Pretty silly on their part really and I don't see their logic other than Seattle didn't instruct anyting or forgot to remove the authenticity check on IE7 LIP so we are not going to do anything despite it not being consistent with what MS is doing with their mainstream version of IE. So apart from Thai, Hindi and other East European languages are also affected.

Anyone here with MS connection that can point this out to their higherups to take care of this inconsistency?

Rubber Duck
6th November 2007, 11:23 AM
Pretty Silly just about sums up the whole operation! They can't even give software away in an efficient manner!

Hi Folks,

I found out that IE7 in Thai is now available along with other languages including Hindi Via IE7 LIP (Language Interface Pack) - which means all the menu bars and the user experience will be in these added languages. However, to my surprise downloading it still requires "Windows authenticity check"

Check out:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=a5b1cbd5-88c2-4274-a445-33bf1e9f8353&DisplayLang=th

I find this quite inconsistent with MS New Policy of making IE7 available freely to all. At first I thought it was an overlook on MS part and called Microsoft Thailand to alert them. The Thai rep contacted MS Regional office in Singapore and got the response that the "authenticity check" for IE7 LIP will stay as they treat it as a separate add-on product separate from Microsoft Mainstream IE7 which is also available in multiple languages including Chinese which does not require LIP to display the menu bar in Chinese.

I told her that this would unfairly delay the adoption of IE7 in Thailand as Thais are by and large not very comfortable with english. She said the only thing she could do is to file my complaint about the inconsistency but cannot say if anything will be done. Pretty silly on their part really and I don't see their logic other than Seattle didn't instruct anyting or forgot to remove the authenticity check on IE7 LIP so we are not going to do anything despite it not being consistent with what MS is doing with their mainstream version of IE. So apart from Thai, Hindi and other East European languages are also affected.

Anyone here with MS connection that can point this out to their higherups to take care of this inconsistency?

mdw
6th November 2007, 02:34 PM
Interesting thanks for the update. The waiting continues.